Tuesday, August 9, 2011

First Impressions


They say a first impression is a lasting impression.  In the education world, this is certainly true of when students meet their teachers for the first time.  I started school this past week and met around 100 wide-eyed, summer-dazed 8th graders that I get to call "my students" over the next 180 days.  The first week is probably THE most crucial week in all of the school year (even more important than the dreaded week of CRCT testing!).  Every single child that walked through my classroom door made a decision about what kind of teacher they will perceive me to be for the rest of the year.  The danger is, however, I made a decision about them too.

It is really easy in education to get caught up in labels. We learn before the students ever get here if they are special ed, have medical concerns, need remedial education, or even if they have a rough home life.  We hear from their teachers last year as they often volunteer information about whether or not that student was “good” or “bad”.  Unfortunately, these kids wear their labels, like a giant florescent nametags secured to their foreheads, on the first day of school. Some teachers never take the time to look past these predetermined misconceptions.

I am challenging myself this year to get rid of the virtual student filing system in my mind.  I have started with two students:  Sam and Andrew.  Both of these boys have very rough lives and have been significant behavior problems in other grades.  Sam’s life consists of a bitter battle between mom and dad, one in which he feels he is betraying one parent if he loves the other.  Andrew also has a difficult home life and is loud and boisterous, shouting shock-value statements just for attention. 

The teachers started the year targeting Sam as a “troublemaker”.  The other day, I called him over to me.  He shuffled to my side reluctantly and defensively asked, “What did I do?”  “Nothing! I just wanted to tell you that you did a fantastic job writing today.  You should have more confidence in your abilities.”  I then proceeded to tell him that this year is a new year.  Whatever happened last year with his behavior is gone.  He looked at me as if it had been a long time since he had heard positive praise.  I will never forget his expression.

Andrew is another story.  I gave him supplies when he didn’t have any and extra time when he didn’t turn an assignment in, trying to show him that I cared about him.  Unfortunately, his behavior has continued to get worse!  This is when I turn to my God in prayer and ask for wisdom.  Only He knows how to soften hearts!  I can try on my own to reach these kids, but it is the God within me who works in lives, not my own efforts.

“And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”  Philippians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment